The first weekend of Sectionals is in the books!
September 8, 2014 by Charlie Eisenhood in News, Recap with 15 comments
The first weekend of the Club Series is now complete as teams from around the country earned spots at Regionals with their performance at qualifying Sectionals tournaments.
A good list of Sectionals finals results can be found over on Reddit’s r/ultimate, which is currently much more reliable than the score reporting on USA Ultimate’s website.
Here are some of the highlight games of the weekend, one in which most top teams did not play (as most Nationals qualifiers from last year have byes to Regionals):
– Seattle Voodoo secured a dominant 13-9 victory over Vancouver Furious George at Washington Sectionals, adding further intrigue to an already interesting Northwest Region. While Seattle Sockeye and Portland Rhino will still be the favorites at Regionals in a few weeks, Voodoo’s strong weekend raises the possibility of an upset.
– Pittsburgh Temper beat Philadelphia Patrol 13-10 in the Founders Sectionals final to remain one of the favorites to take a bid to Nationals in the two-bid Mid-Atlantic.
– Michigan High Five took down Ohio Brocats 15-13 in the East Plains final after Columbus Madcow, the #2 seed, lost to Brocats in the semifinals.
– Madison Club played its B team in the Northwest Plains final. The A team won 13-6.
– San Francisco Fury, which opted into Sectionals, held off a furious late surge from San Francisco Nightlock to win 15-14. Fury was ahead 14-9 before a 5-0 run from Nightlock forced double game point.
– Chicago Dish narrowly edged out Chicago Spicy Tuna 10-9 in a matchup that always seems close
– Pittsburgh Hot Metal beat Philadelphia Green Means Go 13-10, suggesting that Hot Metal could be the benefactor of GMG’s earned bid for the Mid Atlantic.
– St. Louis Thoroughbred upset Des Moines Mixed 13-12 in the West Plains final
– Toronto Union continues to look good, dominating Albany Destructors 15-8
– Seattle The D’Oh Abides took out Victoria Skysharks 15-8 in the finals before top-seeded Seattle Ghetto Birds took 2nd place with a backdoor bracket win over Skysharks, 14-11. The three bid Northwest Regionals should be fun.
– Denver Sweet Action upset Boulder Love Tractor 13-12 in the Rocky Mountain final.